Recent Fire Damage Posts
In Case of Evacuation, Remember These Important Items
In case of an emergency evacuation, there are certain items you should always remember to take from your home, and there is an easy way to remember what they are because they all start with the letter "P".
*People and Pets - Obviously the most important thing in your home. Secure their exit and safety before you consider removing anything else from your home.
*Papers, Phone Numbers and Important Documents - This information will be helpful if you need to call various businesses and should include your account numbers.
*Prescriptions, Vitamins & Eyeglasses - Extremely important items to maintain your health, and you have to be able to read those labels!
*Pictures - Grab the ones you can't replace.
*Personal computer hard drive and disks - Backup your information regularly to a portable hard drive so you can grab it and go.
*"Plastic" - Bring your credit and ATM cards, driver's license and any cash you have in the house.
Print out this list and keep it in your home office or a prominent place in your home in case you need to reference it in case of emergency.
If your home or business does experience fire or smoke damage, call the experts at SERVPRO of Vacaville at (707) 724-8977 and we'll help make it "Like it never even happened."
Have a Fire Plan
With temperatures climbing in Vacaville, the risk of residential and wildfires increases each day. All families should have an evacuation plan in place in case of emergency. Here's a few tips to keep in mind when creating your own evacuation plan.
*Designate an emergency meeting location outside the fire or hazard area. Ideas may be a local fire station or City Hall.
*Plan out several different escape routes from your home or community. Practice these so everyone in your family is familiar with these routes.
*If you have pets or large animals, have a plan in place to move them quickly if necessary.
*Print out a list of all the phone numbers of your family members, in case you get separated from your cell phone, and keep them in your wallet or with you at all times. Many of us rely on our phones to automatically dial our contact list and don't have important family members' and friends' phone numbers memorized.
The most important thing to remember is to be prepared and stay calm in the event of an emergency. Having the plans in place to respond to a fire or evacuation of any kind will help everyone be safely reunited with their loved ones.
Avoiding Electrical Fires
We all know that installing and maintaining a smoke detector is the best way to stay safe in case of a fire in your home, but you may be surprised to learn about the most common causes of electrical fires. Here they are:
Faulty outlets, appliances - Most electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets and old, outdated appliances. Never use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord which can send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs that can start a fire.
Light fixtures - Light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs are another common reason for electrical fires. Installing a bulb with a wattage that is too high for the lamps and light fixtures is a leading cause of electrical fires. Always check the maximum recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp and never go over the recommended amount.
Extension cords - Misuse of extension cords is another electrical fire cause. Appliances should be plugged directly into an outlet and not plugged into an extension cord for any length of time. Only use extension cords as a temporary measure.
Space heaters - Because space heaters are portable, many times people put them too close to combustible surfaces such as curtains, beds, clothing, chairs, couches and rugs. Coil space heaters are especially dangerous because the coils become so hot they will almost instantaneously ignite any nearby flammable surface.
Wiring - Outdated wiring often causes electrical fires. If a home is over 20 years old, it may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased amounts of electrical appliances in today’s average home.
Be sure to check today and make sure none of these dangers are in your home. In the unfortunate case of a fire, the professionals at SERVPRO of Vacaville are on-call 24 hours a day to help. Call us at 707-724-8977.
Preventing Additional Damage After a Fire
The first 48 hours after a fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. The professionals at SERVPRO of Vacaville can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems.
Here's just a few of the things we can help you with after a fire:
- Smoke and soot removal
- Inventory your home's contents
- Document restoration
There are also steps you can take to minimize additional damage to your home after a fire occurs:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading
- Place clean towels on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet
- Wash any walls or painted surfaces
- Shampoo carpet or upholstery
- Clean any electrical equipment
- Send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor into the fabric
If you do experience a fire in your home, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Vacaville. We will work to ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored back to preloss condition whenever possible.
SERVPRO of Vacaville (707) 724-8977